Tuesday, January 27, 2009

"Who Stole My Church" - A Book Review


Who Stole My Church?; What to Do When the Church You Love Tries to Enter the 21st Century by Gordon MacDonald; Thomas Nelson Publishers, Nashville, TN; 2007


"It was a dark and stormy night."


And so begins the journey of a fictional New England congregation to move the church they love into the 21st century, led by real-life Pastor Gordon MacDonald. Alarmed by some of the changes they feel are being forced upon them, a small group of church members in their 60s and 70s agree to meet on that rainy Sunday night to discuss the future of their church. The feelings of these folks is summed up in the sad statement of Yvonne, a widowed long-time Sunday School teacher who grew up in church. "All I know is that someone stole my church and I'd like to get it back."


Over the next several months, Pastor MacDonald guides this "Discovery Group" to new ways of looking at how and why they "do" church. He encourages them to look at how the church has changed throughout its history and why those changes were necessary. He takes them back to the response of their parents and grandparents to the things that drew them into the church. One of the most effective things he does is to bring the two generations involved in the current conflict together to talk and listen to each other.


It's pretty clear all through this book that the author is targeting those who want to keep change from coming. Since Pastor MacDonald is the one telling the story, the reader knows alot of what he thinks but doesn't say when dealing with the Discovery Group. This reveals his frustration with those who have a harder time letting go of their ideas. But, it's also clear that he believes these changes are necessary for the church to fulfill its God-given mission.


Having been in church since before I was born, I admit to being a participant on both sides of this issue. As I read this book, I couldn't help thinking back to times in my own personal experience. I have been both an advocate for change and a voice for slowing down change that just seemed to push me from my comfort zone way too fast. There were times while reading that I wanted to shout an "amen". At other times, my toes were stepped on and I even felt a little angry. I know, however, that I will not look at issues of change in the church the way I did before.

Read this book with an open mind and an open heart and I think you'll feel the same.

No comments: